Most Common Fungal Infections You Can Get From Mold in Your Home

Most Common Fungal Infections You Can Get From Mold in Your Home

Can the molds in our homes cause fungal infection? Yes, they can.

Aspergillosis is a fungal infection caused by inhaling spores of molds or also called Aspergillus fumigates. Aspergillus is the most common mold that causes invasive infection. Other environmental molds, however, like Scedosporium, Fusarium, and various zygomycetes, including Rhizopus and Mucor are now affecting more and more people.

Mold is found everywhere. It usually thrives outdoors on plants, soil, and rotting materials. It can also grow indoors, especially in damp areas. Poor ventilation and poor home maintenance promote mold growth. When inhaled in small amounts, molds are typically harmless. To persons with a weakened immune system and those with chronic lung problems, molds could pose great danger.

There are several types of Aspergillosis:

Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA)

Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis occurs after exposure to Aspergillus. Inhalation of fungus leads to inflammation in the lungs and airways. People with cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis and/or asthma are risk factors because they tend to have more mucus in their air passages, which are ideal for fungal growth. The common symptoms of ABPA are similar to those associated with asthma, including wheezing, coughing accompanied by mucus or blood and difficulty with breathing.

Pulmonary Aspergillosis

Pulmonary Aspergillosis affects those who have chronic lung problems who have spaces in the lungs where fungus could grow. The growth of fungus in the lungs could result in tuberculosis, emphysema or sarcoidosis. The lump of fungus combined with white blood cells and blood clots called Aspergilloma or Mycetoma may cause problems in other organs. Symptoms may include coughing, sometimes accompanied by mucus or blood, wheezing, fever, chest pain and difficulty breathing.

Invasive Aspergillosis

Invasive Aspergillosis happens when the infection spreads from the lungs to the bloodstream. Kidneys, liver, skin or brain may be infected. If untreated, such infection could lead to death. Those with very weak immune systems, low white blood cell count, long hospitalization or long-term use of corticosteroids. These are the common symptoms of invasive aspergillosis like fever, chills, breathing difficulties, such as shortness of breath, kidney or liver failure, shock, or bloody cough or massive bleeding from the lungs.

We must have those molds remove as soon as possible. Getting them out thoroughly and making sure they don’t come back is a job for the professionals of ServiceMaster by PWF. 

ServiceMaster by PWF is servicing Jacksonville and other Northeast Florida areas. We offer mold remediation in Jacksonville FL and have provided the best quality service during catastrophic home or business damage situations. We have consistently guaranteed the satisfaction of clients. We are a Jacksonville FL mold inspection company trusted for over 30 years.

ServiceMaster Restoration by PWF is an IICRC-certified firm in Jacksonville FL which works with the IICRC in setting the standards on the operation of the industry. We also have a long history of working with insurance companies to aid you in processing your claims. We even have 24/7 Emergency Service available with a fast response time within 45 minutes to an hour.

Our mold removal services in Jacksonville FL use top-of-the-line products, updated knowledge, and excellent skills to guarantee the best results for your home. ServiceMaster by PWF is servicing Jacksonville and other Northeast Florida areas; call our office at (866) 599-0871, or check out our website at https://www.servicemasterbypwf.com.

Leave a Reply

Close Menu
shares